DBT Research Associateship vacancy in Biotech/ Life science India
Applications are invited from Indian nationals for the award of “DBT-Research Associateship” for pursuing research in frontier areas of Biotechnology and applied biology.
The Associateship is tenable in Research Institution/Universities including non-profit R&D Institutions within India. The Associateships are awarded under a program sponsored by the Department of Biotechnology, Ministry of Science and Technology, Government of India.The applicants should hold a Ph.D. degree in Science, Engineering or M.D. or M.S. degree in any area of medicine with research interests in Biotechnology and Life Sciences and a good academic record.
The Associateship can be availed within 3 years of the award of Ph.D./M.D./M.S. degree; however, may be relaxable in case of women (by 2 years) and in-service candidates. Those who have already submitted the Ph.D./M.D./M.S. thesis are also eligible to apply.
The applicants should preferably be below the age of 40 years and 45 years in case of women and in-service candidates. Persons already employed are also eligible to apply. However, their applications should be routed through their employers.
DETAILS OF THE AWARD
* The Research Associateship is a purely temporary assignment and is tenable for a period of 2 years.
* In exceptional cases, depending upon the progress of the research, the Associateship may be extended upto 5 years.
* Each fellow would be entitled to a stipend in the range of Rs.22,000-24,000 per month and a research contingency grant of Rs. 50,000 per year, payable to the host Institution.
* Candidates who are yet to be awarded the Ph.D./M.D./M.S. degree, if selected, will be paid Rs. 18,000 per month till the award of the degree.
* The associate would also be entitled to HRA and other benefits as per the DST guidelines applicable to Research Associateship.
* The Associateships normally are not availed at the same Institution where candidates have earned their Ph.D./M.D./M.S. degree.
* Candidates who are already in regular employment can avail the Associateship during the period of his / her sabbatical / study leave, in a different Institute / University.
MODE OF SELECTION
* The candidates will be selected based on their C. V. and performance in the interview.
* The interview will be held at the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, in November 2010 and candidates called for interview will be paid II class railway (non-AC)/bus fare by the shortest route from their home town. If the candidate accepts the Associateship, he/she must join the host Institution/University within a month’s time.
MODE OF APPLICATION
* Candidates may submit their application on plain paper alongwith bio-data, list of publications (attach reprints of 2 important papers), copies of certificates (B.Sc, M.Sc, Ph.D./M.D./M.S.), One page synopsis of Ph.D./M.D./M.S. thesis, 2 letters of recommendation (academic).
* The applicant is advised to propose his/her place of work, name of the supervisor, enclose one page synopsis of proposed research which must be compatible with the on-going research of the proposed supervisor, and his/her consent for availing the Associateship.
* They should also enclose a declaration stating that if selected for the Associateship, he/she will complete the tenure of the Associateship.
* However, they may be allowed to relinquish the Associateship only if accepting permanent employment in India.
* Those who had applied previously need not apply.
Applications should be addressed to:
Coordinator DBT-Research Associateship Program,
Department of Biochemistry,
Indian Institute of Science Campus, Bangalore – 560 012.
The last date for the same is October 15, 2010 and the envelope should be clearly marked as “DBT-Research Associateship”